Deciding what to do after graduation is often a daunting task. How can you know which opportunity is best for you? Begin by asking yourself:
- Type of work? issues? populations? e.g., social service with homeless women or tutoring with children living in poverty
- Faith-based or secular organization?
- Community living or independent?
- Geographical location?
- Financial needs?
It's okay if you don't know that answers to these and other questions when you begin--they will come as you engage with the process.
What can help:
- Actively research organizations and opportunities: talk to recruiters, and current and former volunteers, read websites and literature, and, when possible, visit.
- Notice what you react to, both positively and negatively. What pulls at you? What is unappealing? What are your fears, concerns? What are you passionate about?
- Talk to Mike Hebbeler or Karen Manier about your reactions--thoughts, feelings, concerns. We are here to help with the discernment process.
- Take Discernment in the Fall of your senior year.
- Talk to mentors, advisors, spiritual directors [link], Career Center staff [link], rectors, faculty as well family and friends. Ask for feedback about your strengths and challenges. One caveat: how others see you is helpful, but only as a means for recognizing what you know to be true about yourself.
- Realize that no opportunity or experience is perfect; any number of opportunities could be a good "fit" for you.
Catholic Volunteer Network
A network of over 200 domestic and international volunteer and lay mission programs.
Postgraduate Service Opportunities
|Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE)||The Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) is a two-year service program offering college graduates...||24 months, including summers|
|Amate House||Our program is dedicated to supporting and developing future leaders of the church and world...||10.5 months|
|Andre House of Arizona||Andre House is a ministry of hospitality, which combines the gifts of many people to serve people...||12 months|
|Augustinian Volunteers||Augustinian Volunteers are young men and women who serve with established educational, social, and...||10 months domestic / 11 months international|
|Bon Secours Volunteer Ministry||Bon Secours Volunteer Ministry, sponsored by the Sisters of Bon Secours, provides the opportunity...||12 months|
|Boston College Urban Catholic Teacher Corps||UCTC forms excellent Catholic schoolteachers and actively engages in the ministry of teaching for...||24 months|
|Brothers’ Volunteer-Discernment Community||This all-male program offers volunteers the opportunity for service while participating in the...||12 months|
|Cap Corps East||Overview: The Capuchin Franciscan Volunteer Corps (Cap Corps) offers men and women the opportunity...||12 months domestic / 24 months international|
|Capuchin Franciscan Volunteer Corps Midwest||The Capuchin Franciscan Volunteer Corps Midwest is an intentional community of full-time volunteers...||12 months domestic, 18 months international|
|Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN)||Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN) is a national membership organization of Christian volunteer and...||2 months or 12-36 months|
|Catholic Worker House– St. Peter Claver House||The Catholic Worker aims to live out the Works of Mercy through serving and entering into community...||n/a|
|Change a Heart||Change A Heart Franciscan Volunteer Program is a 12-month service experience that empowers young...||12 months|
|Christ in the City||Overview: Christ in the City is a holistic service program that combines charitable works,...||1 week–12 months|
|Christian Appalachian Project||Christian Appalachian Project (CAP) is an interdenominational, non-profit Christian organization...||3 weeks-12 months|
|Christians for Peace in El Salvador||CRISPAZ is a faith-based organization dedicated to building bridges of solidarity between the...||12 months or less|
|City Year||City Year is an education focused, nonprofit organization that unites young people of all...||10 months|
|Colorado Vincentian Volunteers||CVV invites young adults into a process of companionship with those who are poor in the spirit of...||Varies|
|Dominican Volunteers USA||Spend next year serving at the United Nations (New York), as a refugee resettlement specialist (...||11 months|
|Echo: Faith Formation Leadership Program||Echo is a dynamic, two-year service-learning, formation program through the Institute for Church...||24 months|
|Farm of the Child||In gratitude for the great love that Jesus Christ gives to us, we decide to unite ourselves to form...||1-2 years|