In the United States alone, over 60 million people are affected with a mental illness in a given year. Fourteen million of those suffer with chronic, serious mental illness. Countless family members, friends and mental health professionals struggle to understand and help those diagnosed with these confusing and often debilitating diseases. Unless we know someone or struggle with similar issues ourselves, the majority of the rest of us know virtually nothing about the confusing "world" of mental illness. This seminar gives students the opportunity to learn about mental illness from the personal perspective of those most directly impacted by it: those living with it, family members, and health care providers. The goals of this seminar are to help students become more knowledgeable about these diseases and develop understanding and compassion for those who suffer from them. There is no immersion for this course.
Mondays; 829, 9/5, 9/12, 9/19, 9/26, 10/3, and 10/10
- Please apply online through the CSC seminars application link below.
- You cannot register for the seminar until you receive registration information from the seminars staff.
- If you are not selected for participation in your first choice of seminars, you will be given the opportunity to participate in another seminar if there is still availability in the fall.
- By submitting the application, you confirm you are in good academic standing.
- Application deadline: August 25.