This one credit social concerns seminar will follow our community based pedagogy in which we learn from one another, experts in the field, and from folks doing the work in Atlanta. We'll spend six weeks before spring break engaging concepts around public health, community health, social determinants of health, medical ethics, and Catholic Social Tradition and health. Students will spend seven days in Atlanta engaging questions around health in a particular community but also globally. Time will be spend at the CDC, hospital systems, community health centers, and other organizations (some Catholic) who address from a social perspective. Post immersion we will meet twice to debrief and consider next steps.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- As part of participation in a seminar, we seek to live intentionally and simply during the immersion. This includes eating on a budget and making intentional decisions around time spent together as a team. Making choices like limiting internet usage is one that groups have made in the past. We ask that you take the opportunity to invest fully embrace the change of pace and amenities.
- You will receive more specific details from your seminar leaders during preparation classes.
- You must participate in all class sessions and entire immersion in order to complete requirements for the course.
Immersion Dates: Friday, March 10 – Saturday, March 18, 2017
- Application process consists of two parts: (1) Completed application and (2) Interviews (you will be notified about interviews via email)
- You cannot register for the seminar until you receive registration information from Seminars staff.
- Notification of seminar placement will happen after final application deadline.
- If you are not selected for participation in your first choice of seminars, you will be given the opportunity to participate in another seminar if there is still availability.
- No admittance into the seminar after the first class (see seminar calendar of events)
- By submitting the application, you confirm you are in good academic standing.
- With questions about your application, email email@example.com.
Application is now open and the deadline is January 19, 2017.