The Center for Social Concerns has partnered with Campus Ministry to offer a ‘seminage’ (seminar-pilgrimage) to examine the life and spirit of St. André Bessette and the multiple ways in which humanity is impoverished (financial and spiritual). Students will have the opportunity to travel to André House in Phoenix, Arizona over fall break and bear witness to the Gospel and spirit of Saint André by serving the local community through the André hospitality houses, reflecting upon our own internal poverty through prayer and reflection, and engaging in a larger conversation around systemic poverty and the need for communal, internal, and sociatal healing.
Immersion Dates: October 16–22, 2016
THINGS TO NOTE:
- As part of participation in a seminar, we seek to live intentionally and simply during the immersion. This may look different in each seminar and site. For example, some sites allow fewer showers, others may have simpler sleeping arrangements, meals will be healthy and simple, please be flexible. We ask that you take the opportunity to invest fully and embrace the change of pace and amenities.
- You will receive more specific details from your site leader during preparation classes.
- Most meals will be prepared by your team or in conjunction with your hosts at your site. Meals are provided throughout travel to and from your immersion location. You will have a limited budget for meals which will be enough to eat simply and be well nourished.
- Site leaders will be liaison with community partner contacts.
- You will likely be responsible for your own bedding. Please plan ahead for this as most seminar students will need to bring a sleeping bag.
- You must participate in all class sessions and entire immersion in order to complete requirements for the course. Immersion implies over-night stays on site. If you miss any class for any reason you will be responsible for making the class up.
The fall 2016 seminars are football friendly.
- Priority application date is April 15, 2016.
- Application process consists of two parts: (1) completed application and (2) a possible interview (you will be notified about interviews via email).
- You cannot register for the seminar until you receive registration information from the Seminars staff.
- Notification of seminar placement will happen on a rolling basis.
- If you are not selected for participation in your first choice of seminars, you will be given the opportunity to participate in another seminar if there is still availability in the fall. Contact Melissa Marley Bonnichsen if you have questions.
- By submitting the application, you confirm you are in good academic standing.
- With questions about your application, email email@example.com.
Application for Fall 2016 is now closed.