The goal of the Gospel of Life Seminar is to provide students with the opportunity to read and reflect on a consistent ethic of life through experiential learning. Exploration begins in the orientation classes where students will become familiar with various life issues (end of life issues, poverty, bio-ethics, creation care, death penalty, a full concept of being pro-life, etc) through readings, lectures, and by meeting people who work on life-related issues across the spectrum. This year the seminar will be traveling to Portland Oregon to meet with various organizations, NPO’s, advocacy groups, and local communities serving and dialoguing around the topic of life. While in Portland students will also be participating in direct service that engages in honoring the life of all, including those on the margins. The follow-up classes facilitate analysis and synthesis of insights gained during the week of experiential learning. All those who are interested in being apart of this conversation, honoring a consistent ethic of life, are encouraged to apply. Questions? Contact Melissa Marley Bonnichsen.
Immersion Dates: October 16-22, 2016
Size: up to 15
Seminar Fee: $300 charged to your student account upon completion of the seminar (some scholarships available based on need)
Full seminar fee will be charged for all withdrawals after September 20.
THINGS TO NOTE:
- As part of participation in a seminar, we seek to live intentionally and simply during the immersion. This may look different in each seminar and site. For example, some sites allow fewer showers, others may have simpler sleeping arrangements, meals will be healthy and simple, please be flexible. We ask that you take the opportunity to invest fully and embrace the change of pace and amenities.
- You will receive more specific details from your site leader during preparation classes.
- Most meals will be prepared by your team or in conjunction with your hosts at your site. Meals are provided throughout travel to and from your immersion location. You will have a limited budget for meals which will be enough to eat simply and be well nourished.
- Site leaders will be liaison with community partner contacts.
- Lodging varies depending on the site, please be flexible. You will likely be responsible for your own bedding. Please plan ahead for this as most seminar students will need to bring a sleeping bag.
- You must participate in all class sessions and entire immersion in order to complete requirements for the course. Immersion implies over-night stays on site. If you miss any class for any reason you will be responsible for making the class up.
The fall 2016 seminars are football friendly.
Final Application Deadline: Thursday, August 25, 2016, 11:59 p.m.
- Application process consists of two parts: (1) Completed application and (2) Possible interviews (you will be notified about interviews via email).
- You cannot register for the seminar until you receive registration information from Seminars staff.
- Notification of seminar placement will happen between August 30 and September 2, 2016.
- If you are not selected for participation in your first choice of seminars, you will be given the opportunity to participate in another seminar if there is still availability.
- No admittance into the seminar after the first seminar class.
- By submitting the application, you confirm you are in good academic standing.
- With questions about your application, email email@example.com.
|Immersion: Gospel of Life||
10/16/2016 (All day) to 10/22/2016 (All day)