A service learning and community based learning course, this seminar involves experiential learning at a variety of different sites in the Appalachia region of the United States. Coupled with on campus class sessions providing preparation, team formation, and follow up, students will spend their midterm break on a service-learning immersion with one of 18+ community partners in Appalachia. While learning about the communities in this region and the challenges they face and hopes they possess, students may focus on themes such as sustainability, rural health care, food justice, housing, education, energy, or a combination thereof.
Things to note:
As part of participation in a seminar, we seek to live intentionally and simply during the immersion. This may look different at each site. Some sites, for example, allow fewer showers. Others may have simpler sleeping arrangements. Most do not have internet. We ask that you take the opportunity to invest fully and embrace the change of pace and amenities. Let us know if you are concerned about something.
- You will receive more specific details from your site leader during preparation classes.
- Most meals will be prepared by your team or in conjunction with your hosts. Meals are provided throughout travel to and from your immersion location. You will have a limited budget for meals which will be enough to eat simply and be well nourished.
- Site leaders will be liaison with community partner contacts.
- Lodging varies depending on the site – you will likely be responsible for your own bedding.
- You must participate in all class sessions and entire immersion in order to complete requirements for the course.
- The fall seminars are football friendly (on campus for USC 10/17 and BYE on 10/24)!
$300 charged to your student account upon completion of the seminar (some scholarships available based on need)
Full seminar fee will be charged for all withdrawals after September 21.
- Final Application Deadline: Thursday, August 27, 2015, 11:59 p.m.
- Application process consists of two parts: (1) Completed application and (2) Interviews (you will be notified about interviews via email)
- You cannot register for the seminar until you receive registration information from Seminars staff.
- Notification of seminar placement will happen on September 1.
- If you are not selected for participation in your first choice of seminars, you will be given the opportunity to participate in another seminar if there is still availability.
- No admittance into the seminar after the first class
- By submitting the application, you confirm you are in good academic standing.
- After you have submitted the primary application, please complete the second step to help us determine the teams.
Application is now closed.
Appalachia Fall 2015 Supplemental Application
With questions about your application, email email@example.com.
|Fall Seminars Application Deadline||08/27/2015 (All day)|
|Class: Appalachia||09/15/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Class: Appalachia||09/22/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Appalachian Music Concert||09/22/2015 - 7:00pm|
|Class: Appalachia||09/29/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Class: Appalachia||10/06/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Film screening: Overburden||10/06/2015 - 7:00pm|
|Send-off Blessing at Grotto||10/13/2015 - 6:00pm||Optional|
|Class: Appalachia||10/13/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Immersion: Appalachia||10/18/2015 - 1:00am to 10/25/2015 - 1:00am|
|Class: Appalachia||10/27/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|
|Class: Appalachia||11/03/2015 - 7:00pm to 8:30pm|